WINTERQUEST 2014 - JAMES RIVER STATE PARK
James River State Park, six miles down river from Bent Creek, opened June 20, 1999. The park has three miles of river frontage, 1,500 acres of rolling farm meadows, three fishing ponds, beautiful vistas, 15 miles of hiking trails and quiet forests.
The waters of the James have shaped life in this area's past and will shape its future. Monacan Indians, the earliest known settlers, hunted, fished and traveled the river. In the early 1700s, the Cabell family settled along the river, cultivated the rich soils of the floodplain and shipped produce down river to Richmond. A flat-bottomed boat known as the bateau was invented and the Kanawha canal was built to make travel and shipping on the river easier. The James River brought people to this area, provided for their needs and helped them build a future.
The park offers opportunities to explore the wildlife and habitat native to the foothills of the Blue Ridge. Whether floating, fishing or hiking, you can enjoy breathtaking views found only at James River State Park.
Learn more at http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/jam.shtml.
There are a limited number of parking spaces available at the lodge and cabins. Please carpool to Winter Quest, if possible!
* From Richmond, travel west on Rt. 60 towards Amherst for about 60 miles. Turn right onto Rt. 605 (Riverside Dr.), and go 7 miles to the park entrance on the left.
* From Lynchburg, travel east on 460 to Appomattox. Take the Rt. 26 exit (Business 460). Turn left at stop sign onto Rt. 26 (Oakville Rd.). Continue about 12 miles to stop sign at Rt. 60 and go straight across Rt. 60 onto Rt. 605 (Riverside Dr.). Continue 7 miles to the park entrance on left.
* From Farmville, travel Rt. 15 north to Dillwyn, Sprouses Corner. Turn left onto Rt. 60 west and continue for about 25 miles. Turn right on Rt. 605 (Riverside Dr.) and go about 7 miles to park entrance on left.
* Drive Time : Northern Va., three hours; Richmond, two hours; Tidewater/Norfolk/Virginia Beach, four hours; Roanoke, two hours
* Click here for a Google Map
|From Raleigh, NC||159 mi.||3:17 hr|
|From Greensboro, NC||143 mi.||2:36 hr|
|From Asheville, NC||317 mi.||5:16 hr|
|From Richmond, VA||85 mi.||1:44 hr|
|From Roanoke, VA||84 mi.||1:40 hr|
|From Norfolk, VA||178 mi.||3:18 hr|
|From Washington, DC||190 mi.||3:20 hr|
|From Columbia, SC||327 mi.||5:27 hr|