" Winter Quest 2012: Honouring Shadow "
- Clothes: The weather could be mild (mid 50s) or chilly (low 40s to low 30s) and rainy or snowy. Please bring comfortable clothes for all possibilities. Bring outdoor gear and sturdy hiking shoes/boots if you plan on doing any hiking. Remember your ritual clothes if that is part of your path.
- Bedding & Towels: Bedding and towels are provided by the Park. Bring your own comfort items such as pillows, blankets, teddy bears, etc.
- Community Altar: Bring items important to you to decorate the community altar. In prior Quests, we have had beautiful clothes, statues, jewelry, saris,goblets, horns. Use your imagination!
- Drumming Circle: There is generally drumming at night - it is a great way to release energy by dancing and energy. Bring your drums, rattles, and noisemakers. Bring blankets, camp chairs, or pillow for when we circle together
- Downtime: Bring handwork, knitting, crocheting, etc. if you do that stuff. Journals, pens and art supplies for writing, if the mood strikes.
- Snacks/Beverages: Bring snack foods (chocolate is always welcome) and beverages if desired. Bring your favorite goblet, chalice, horn, etc.
- Anything you think you will need to be comfortable over the weekend.
- 1. No illegal substances
- 2. No pets
- 3. No firearms
- 4. Consent Requirement - "It is the responsibility of the initiator of any sexual or other physical contact to positively ensure that consent is given before engaging in such contact."
When Is It?
Winter Quest 2012 will be held from January 13th-15th, 2012. The Winter Quest staff will be onsite starting early Friday afternoon.
The total fee is $110.00. This fee includes a refundable $5 clean up fee. All lodging, meals, and most learning circles are included. This fee will be returned when we have cleaned up the lodge and cabins, and we are ready for the Ranger's checkup inspection.
A late fee of $20.00 is due on all registrations postmarked after January 9, 2012. Refund of registration fee, less $10 for handling, will be made if cancellation is in the hands of the registrar in writing by January 5, 2012 at midnight.
Registration is limited to 25 people. Register early. Registrations are processed in the order that complete registrations are received. If necessary, a waiting list will be maintained. Persons on the waiting list will be notified of any cancellations by January 10.
The James River Lodge and Cabins are heated and air-conditioned. Linens are provided. Full kitchens and bath facilities are incorporated in the lodge and each cabin. The lodge is handicapped accessible. Most cabins are within walking distance of the main lodge! Common rooms of cabins will be used for Learning Circle space. Participants staying in the cabins need to clear out of them Sunday morning before the start of workshops.
Lodge accommodations will be filled first, then cabins. Most of the beds are bunks, so if you have problems climbing into a top bunk, please indicate this on your registration (also indicate if you prefer an upper bunk). We will do our best to accommodate preferences; however due to limited space, not all requests may be honored.
Community Service/Helping Out
All participants are expected, as part of the Winter Quest community, to help with some basic housekeeping tasks. Items such as meal preparation, meal cleanup, and basic cleanup of the cabins and lodge at the end of the weekend need to be done. If we each help out, no one person is left doing the lion's share and it makes a more enjoyable weekend for all! Remember that all event staff and CSQ board members pay to attend this event the same as everyone else!
Financial assistance (scholarships) is available to help community members. Scholarship can cover up to 55.00 of registration fee and half of the learning circle fees. Fill out a registration form and send it along with a $20 deposit to our PO BOX, postmarked by Jan 1, 2012.
Things To Bring
The event will not be cancelled due to weather unless the Commonwealth of Virginia closes the highways in the park area. The park does not close due to bad weather.
Director: Sponsored by the CSQ Board
Kitchen Witch: Steph Byrd
Ritual Coordinator: Dick Merritt
Workshop Coordinator: Becky Starr
CSQ President: Steph Taylor
Park Phone Numbers for use in case of emergency. First try to
contact the staff via their cell phones:
(434) 933-4355 Park Office (9:00-4:00)